[ale] Traffic

JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM
Mon Sep 13 12:12:36 EDT 1999

I am confused. The way a web server work (or atleast Apache) is it keeps a
(configurable) record of what is going on with the server, any errors as
well as a transfer file. Web admins can configure the server to show the
bytes transfered in the log file (or a custom log file). The "after-market"
web analysis programs have two possible choices: 1) Keep their own logs when
the server is running or 2) parse the log file for the info you are looking
for. I am not aware of any other way to get the info you need (except maybe
setup IPCHAINS and keep a running counter on a port). SO, with that said, if
you have access to the httpd.conf (or .htaccess if the admin allows
overides) you can put in the following command:

Logformat "%r -> %b" onlybytes
CustomLog logs/byte_log onlybytes

This will show you the bytes (%b) for each of the requests (%r). Now all you
have to do is parse this small(er) file and add up all the links that are
the same :)

Hope this helps some.

--Randy