[ale] Howto assign 2 IPs of different classes to same machine

Laith Elias Haddadin laith.e.h at usa.net
Mon Sep 6 03:09:20 EDT 1999

How can I assign 2 ips of different classes to the same machine where each IP
has its own gateway.

For example

The first IP is 212.98.132.252  and its gateway is 212.98.132.254 (Primary
Link)
The second IP is 195.6.53.109 and its gateway is 195.6.53.110 (Secondary
Link)

This machine is a Mail server and the reason we want to do that is for MX5 and
MX10 so that if the Primary Link goes down, the MX10 picks up and the mail
will still arrive to the Mail Server.

I'm not sure where to look for this kind of in depth IP configurations.  Much
less if there is packaged software specifics (i.e. proxy server, mail server)
that I would need to take in consideration.

Laith E.H.