[ale] Back Orifice

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Sep 1 09:48:55 EDT 1999

naugrim at juno.com enscribed thusly:
> 	I'm a little curious about something. I have heard that the Back
> Orifice
> program can take control of /any/ Win95/98/NT box. Doesn't Microsoft
> itself run NT servers? Has anyone ever tried Back Orifice on it? I don't
> plan on trying because they would trace it, but I was wondering if there
> are any known cases of it and what Microsoft's reaction was.

	Don't know about that, but I do know that Microsoft got infected
with Explore.Worm and it took them days to stomp it out.  I saw messages
on security mailing lists from several companies that got infected FROM
MICROSOFT.  It seems that they were expecting some documents from
Microsoft anyways, so they thought nothing of it when they received
some documents for review.  :-)  BANG!

	Now, if someone had launched BO 2000 that way, instead of that
nasty destructive pest, there would have been real fun in Redmond.  :-)

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/