[ale] Rescue

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Mon Oct 25 19:46:15 EDT 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:

> Hello Linux People:
>
> I am running RedHat 5.2. I am interested in setting up a means of
> quickly getting a system back up in case of hard drive failure on the
> root file system. I am wondering anyone has used dd to mirror the root
> disk to a scsi tape device and then used the boot/rescue disk to restore
> from the tape.
<<snip>>

My understanding is that it _should_ work, but if the restored system has
(for whatever reason) differences in partitioning or bad blocks or even is
simply bigger, you could have a devil of a time getting things back
together. Probably better to tar or cpio to the tape (which will also
allow you to eliminate some of the cruft lying around the file system)

YMMV of course.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot,
but don't let that fool you - he really is an idiot."
                            St. Groucho
Thompson Freeman                    tfreeman at vnet.net