[ale] Redoing Novell server to linux

lon feldman lfeldman at realminfo.com
Fri Oct 8 08:11:02 EDT 1999

"Gary S. Mackay" wrote:

> I have a job coming up that involves blowing away a Novell SBS server and
> installing linux on it. I am planning on going with either RedHat or Mandrake.
> (Never used Mandrake before). The hardware is an HP LC3 box with dual 4gig
> hard drives that are currently mirrored under Novell. (I'd like to maintain
> that). It has an 8gig SCSI DAT drive with BackupExec, and a 4-port Digi board
> in it also. I plan on implimenting the masq, sendmail, and shared modem
> features on the server. Also, there are numerous laser printers with HP
> JetDirect cards in them, and even a Minolta copier with a 100bt network
> connection that appears as a printer on the Winbloze workstations.
>
> Does anyone see a drop-dead reason not to do this? I will admit, tho I've
> setup many a linux server, this is the first 'large/mainstream/etc' job. I
> don't want to give linux a black eye, but I'm anxious to get my first big
> server out there. (I know, 'big' is relative!)
>
> - Gary
>
> --
> Edison Information Technologies
> P.O. Box 554
> Milan, OH  44846-0554
> 419.499.7040
> www.EdisonInfo.com
> Gary at EdisonInfo.com
> --

	Do you plan on still using IPX or transfering to IP.  If you are going
to use IPX, Don't use the latest Client32 from Novell. you can't seem to
map to the drive with MARS.  If I am wrong, please let me know, because
I have not been able to get it to work.
	I concur with the idea to build a seperate linux system and get it
running before the cut over.  You will need to iron out the kinks before
going live.  You might also see if you can get a few basic users to do
their normal operatiosn and see if there are any problems before going
live.
--
Lawrence (Lon) Feldman		| "I never deny, I never contradict.  I