[ale] Mouse Translation

Bob bob at cavu.com
Thu Oct 7 14:25:47 EDT 1999

I have a random trackball (Crystal Trackball in clear plastic with a
glowing clear trackball bought at Computer City a year ago for $23).

GPM will recognize the middle button but X will not (RH5.2).

I solved this problem by getting the source to the RH 6.1 gpm that supports
translating to a different mouse, built for my RH5.2 system.

I then edited /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm to invoke it thusly:

	        daemon gpm -t ms+ -R msc

The "-t ms+" means a Microsloth-like mouse with a middle button.  The
"-R msc" means to redirect it as a MouseSystems mouse.

In my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config file I specify

		Protocol    "MouseSystems"
		Device      "/dev/gpmdata"

It works great now.

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html   [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.       "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"

Failure is not an option!
It comes bundled with all Microsoft products (in my opinion).
"Linux, a better way to go!"