[ale] Tape Backup Procedures?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Thu Oct 7 14:06:22 EDT 1999

Well, tar I don't have, cpio I do (and it works for me, YMMV). I use
"find" to feed the file names to cpio, which admittedly does result in a
rather long command line, but it's all in a scrip so I don't look at it.
8-).

Basically:
   mt retension
   find <<file selection rule string here>> | cpio -ocBv >/dev/tape
   mt rewind

Building the file selection rule string was the bitch for me, but all it
does is prints a string of fully qualified file names to stdout for cpio
to gobble down.

I hope this helps.

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Jeffrey B Layton wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I think I'm about to perform a Linux reinstall due
> to some weirdness that I can't fathom. So, I'm going
> to back up some critical stuff (/home, /usr/local/, /opt,
> and a few other things) to a SCSI tape I have. Does
> anybody have any recommendation for a simple
> 1 line tar commen to do this (Ok, maybe more than
> 1 line) and a simple untar command?
>
>  TIA,
>
> Jeff Layton
>
> Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Systems
> Marietta GA

Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
tfreeman at vnet.net          Karma Shave