[ale] What good is a 386/16???

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 26 03:19:48 EST 1999

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:53:52 +0100, Steven Rice wrote:

>I have a model 70, a 386/25 with a 120 meg hard drive EDSI (whatever),
>and 4 megs,  next to it is a IBM PS/1 398/16.  What can i do with these
>machines other then keep the door open.

My Everex 386/25, with 16MB memory and 120MB hard drive currently
serves as:

a) Dial-on-Demand IP masq firewall
b) Time server(using Chrony) which syncs to outside sources whenever
connected
c) Distributed.net RC5 Personal Proxy server
d) Mail/fetchmail server
e) Caching-mostly DNS server

for my home lan(which has 3 other machines on it).  In the past, I've
also had it handling dial-in shell and PPP services, which in the near
future will probably be replaced by dial-in and dial-out Fax(unless I
can figure out a way to support dial-in shell/PPP, dial-out PPP, and
dial-in/dial-out Fax all on the same modem, in which case I'll just add
Fax to the services it currently provides).

For a home lan, the 386/25 handles all of this nicely.  That's one of
the things I like about Linux - it allows you to take a machine that
would be useless in the Windows world and get useful service out of it.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at