[ale] kernel upgrade

dean pinili dpinili at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 01:44:54 EST 1999

hello to all,
     another newbie question folks. i'm running Red
Hat 5.1 kernel 2.0.35, I decided to upgrade my kernel
to version 2.2.12. the compile went well but when i
start to configure the ethernet card this is what i
get:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.21
SIOCSIFADDR:Operation not suppported by device

     i get the same error message for the loopback
device..
     what did i miss?? does it have something to do
with the compilation of the new kernel since its the
only thing that i did..??? my ethernet card is a PCI
Ethernet DEC 21041 Based Adapter and it works well
with the previous kernel.
     Please help me... i now end up booting with the
older kernel
                                   dean