[ale] Linux: Secure and Limits?

Bob bob at cavu.com
Sun Nov 14 14:57:06 EST 1999

> Compare to other NIX's, how secure and how limiting is Linux?

> From my experince with *NIX, it has told me Linux is
> limited in what it can do unless you account for Beowulf stuff.
> But what about being secure?  Compare to larger UNIX'ies like
> HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, or SINIX how "secure" is Linux??  It seams
> like it would be hard to setup a secure box (secure being able to
> keep out the top .02% of crackers) due the amount of limits and
> nature buffer overflow in the kernel.

Actually, from my monitoring of various security lists, Linux is as secure
or more secure than the "larger UNIX distributions".

Being 99.98% perfect (1 error in 5000) in any area is very difficult
to achieve.  It is achievable but time-consuming and expensive.

I and a few others on the ALE list (like mhw at wittsend.com) do consult in
this area.

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html   [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.       "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"

Failure is not an option!
It comes bundled with all Microsoft products (in my opinion).
"Linux, a better way to go!"