[ale] Epson printer experience questions

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Wed Nov 10 09:30:26 EST 1999

Hello -

The Epson 'Stylus Color 660' is phenominally cheap just now ($129.95 at
Office Depot, and $30 rebate available - cheaper than their in-store ad, in
fact), and I wondered if anyone could share experience comparing this
printer with others as far as resolution, color quality and saturation, and
other factors. I would be using it in Linux under gs-5.10 or later. I have
been battling a Canon BJC-620 for a couple of years with occasionally decent
- but very unpredictable - results, and with very unfaithful color mapping.
(Even the color bars on RedHat's PostScript test page come out wierd.)

Does the Epson 740 work [well] with any gs driver? It's not among the
"supported", but there are references in 'uniprint' to "ESC/P2" printers,
and Epson identifies this as the "printer language" of the 740.

Can these printers reach their advertised dot pitches (1440x720) under gs?

Thanks for any suggestions.

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140