[ale] RedHat 6.1 woes

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.Gsu.EDU
Sun Nov 7 00:32:20 EST 1999

Hello ALE,
  I'm trying to do a 'clean' install to RH 6.1.I've run into a couple a
problems.

First problem:  The install program detects my video card as an S3
"Generic', whereas it is a 'S3V' (S3 Virge) card. Best i can do is
1024x768 @ 8 bit, whereas I could do 1024x768 at 32 bit color.
Xconfigurator just hangs when I run it.  No relief there.

Second problem:  I'm trying to recompile the kernel.  Have the source and
header files loaded.  All goes ok until I try the /sbin/lilo command.  It
says the kernel is too big.  Kernel is 489856, which is smaller than the
original kernel of 622966.  I've tried doing a make zImage, make boot,
make bzImage, all to no avail.  I'm obviously missing something here.  I
do have the RH Install Guide and the RH Refence Guide on hand.

I don't feel that I'm a total idiot, as I have written programs that
splits mirrors and remounts one side, does backups on the other side, and
rejoins them when done.  This prblem does perplex me...  Any suggestions
would be welcome.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-2639               |  BBROYGBVGW            |