[ale] CD-Writing Issues

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Thu May 27 17:37:55 EDT 1999

Vernard Martin wrote:

> I'm having a problem duping audio cds.  It appears that neither my cdr-r or y
> ATAPI cdrom are recognized by xcdroast as audio capable devices. Therefore I
> can't use xcdroast to rip. I can still use it to burn but I can't seem to get
> the data read in the format that xcdroast wants so that it'll burn it
> correctly. What frightening is that I can get cdparanois to rip audio from the
> ATAPI drive even though xcdroast won't.
>
> I was wondering if anybody on the list has been copying or building audio cds
> *without* using xcdroast and if so, could they give me some tips. I know that I
> could simply by a better ATAPI cdrom and then I could read with it and write
> with the cd-r but I'd like to avoid that since I can throw that cash towards
> somethign really useful like a new cpu or something :-)
>
> by the way, the cd-r is a Sony CW-7502 CD-R (which is the rebranded MATSHITA
> CD-R). The ATAPI cdrom is a CRD-8320).

> ---
> Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
> "Luck is just one of my many skills." - Isamu from Macross Plus

Hi Vernard Martin,
I had very similar problems with xcdroast. I finally gave up and ended up with
'cdrecord'.
which worked fine for me, both for duping audio cd's and writing data cd's. I
think xcdroast is based on cdrecord, among other things. Cdrecord is command-line
driven, but one has much better control. you can get it at
ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/
You need to know more about your system though, but cdrecord has a man page,
called cdrecord.1, which I found quite helpful . Hope this helps.     Cor van Dijk