[ale] Intraware article on linux and open source

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Mon May 24 15:43:21 EDT 1999

Eric Webb wrote:
> Open source software and Linux have become synonymous in many people's
> minds. This is partially because Linux embodies the principles of open source,
> and mainly because it is currently the most commercially advanced
> implementation of open source initiatives. Software vendor after software vendor
> have "embraced open source" by simply porting their existing Unix applications
> to Linux. Some don't even have to go that far, but rather just bring into the
> commercial fold those versions of their software that others had already ported
> to Linux. What typically follows is that these vendors reduce their pricing in an
> attempt to seed the marketplace. While this may be another victory for Linux, it
> doesn't appear to be much in the way of a victory for the open source movement
> as a whole.
>
> So, has the open source movement become a victim of the success of Linux?
> Or is one still inherently a victory for the other?  I am beginning to wonder. The
> success of Linux seems to have greatly narrowed the debate around open
> source. Apparently at this point, Microsoft inherently views it as an operating
> system debate only. By dropping comments here and there about possibly
> opening up some areas of their operating system source code, they are
> deliberately or inadvertently narrowing the scope of the debate about open
> source software. Large software vendors view Linux as another competing
> operating system and therefore a potentially new revenue stream for existing
> products. Being first to market on this platform may even be a way to increase
> their overall market share. All of this is far removed from the vision of software
> that many of the founders of the open source movement have.
>
> My fear is that Linux is now little more than another operating system, and what
> just a few months ago appeared to be a ground swell for open source ideas has
> quickly become absorbed into the system as it currently stands.

I disagree.

Open Source is primarily being fought over in the OS arena - Windows vs Linux,
primarily.  This is where the most is to be gained for everyone - if we have
an open OS, all application vendors get to play.  Without an open OS, only the
favored few even get in, and may well be forced to 'open' their product to the
monopoly holder.

Once the OS war is over (and Linux has won :->), then the focus will be moved
to applications.  Only then will the open source initiative really be effective
for applications, because until then, the monopoly makes it viable to NOT be
open.  Think about how the GIMP will fare once it has a really big user base,
especially one like Photoshop has (big and often naive).  Once an open OS
is the default, everyone and his brother will be coming up with ideas for apps,
and the bazaar will be full of projects.  Sure, many will wither on the vine,
but some will flourish, and push the open source initiative along.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |