[ale] hack on my article, please...

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at switchco.com
Mon May 24 15:25:18 EDT 1999

Well absolutely friggin amazing. I had typed in five paragraphs of
detailed critique and was two sentences away from hitting send and the
power flashed off. Power hasn't failed here in three months (and that
was from a big storm). Oh well, I haven't the heart to type it all again
so in summary:

	Re-examine the premises of your article.
	Think "domain specific" language rather than just "script" language.
	All your comments re: C++ are wrong or misleading with their current
lack of qualifiers. They *can* be true but not in the context you
present.
	Identify the domain that each language you cover specializes in and
then, for each domain, write a small code snippet (even though you may
not publish it in deference to article length) in each language you
mention. This will reveal much about each language.
	Attack each problem in as simple a manner as possible but no simpler
(to paraphrase Einstein).
	I like how you mention the new GUI capabilities near the end. Stress
this and database connectivity more as they really separate these
languages from C/C++ (and often Java) when applied in their domains.
	Lines of code is never the reason why a scripting language should be
chosen, its just a happy coincidence when chosen for the right reason.

	good luck & later,

		Ben Scherrey

PS: You might want to mention Java's many flavours, ie. standalone app,
applet, javascript, and (less common but growing) embedded.