[ale] HOWTO->Install a SCSI-2 CDRW under RedHat5.2

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Sat May 22 20:32:02 EDT 1999

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Just go a Ricoh MP6200S, a scsi external rom burner, and was wondering
> what is required to get it going under RedHat5.2.
>
> It purports to be a SCSI-2 drive. What does that mean and what are the
> scsi-card requirements that result ? That is, what is the least
> expensive card I can use and where can I get the best price ?

Note that many recent motherboards have SCSI support built in
(this is even true for a 486/100 MB I bought three years ago).
Also, even if it doesn't have full SCSI support, it may have
the NCR 53C810 SCSI BIOS, which means that you can use a
BIOS-less 810 card; these can be had for around $20, and are
well-supported by Linux. So don't blow a lot of cash on an
Adaptec or something unless you really need to.

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...