[ale] A few general Linux networking questions

David Brooks dbrooks at trusted.net
Tue May 11 09:08:45 EDT 1999

Hope this helps out a little -- Networking is a pretty vast subject...

> 1.  The whole compatibility with NT kind of thing.
> a.  Can it be added to an NT Domain?

Sure can.  Samba can make Linux filesystems (or portions of them) on remote
boxes appear in everyone's Network Neighborhood.

Check http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html for more information on Samba.
It's heavily documented both on that saite and on LDP (URL provided a little
farther down).

For more stuff regarding Linux/Windows* compatibility, visit:

http://www.vmware.com - actually RUN Windows98/95/NT FROM Linux, rather new
on the market.  You can network it, too.
http://www.winehq.com - WINE (WINdows Emulator): Emulates a Windows
environment, allowing the user to run most any 16-bit Windows application
under X, even some 32-bit ones.

> b.  Does it use NT usernames and passwords from the NT user list or does
it
> maintain it's own?
>
> 2.  The whole compatibility with Macintosh kind of thing.
> a.  Does it do Apple File Sharing via AppleTalk?

Kernels can be compiled with AppleTalk support; I've never dealt with it
directly, however.

> b.  Does it handle printing via AppleTalk?

See above.  I really don't know the specifics, but I'm sure theres an
AppleTalk HOWTO out there somewhere that could explain what Linux can/cannot
do in regards to AppleTalk.  Perhaps someone from LDP (Linux Documentation
Project) could help you out with this.

Check http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html
Its a depository for all sorts of Documentation on how to set up/accomplish
alot of stuff in Linux.

> 3.  Web services.
> a.  Does it support MS FrontPage extensions?

Yup.  We do it here at work.  Its a little clumsy, but we've had very few
complaints about it from the end-user about usability.  Not sure of the URL
for information on it, but it's out ther somewhere.

> b.  Does it support ASP?

To my knowledge, if you have the FrontPage extensions installed, wouldn't
the webserver be able to handle .asp?  Someone else on the list probably
knows for sure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave