[ale] A few general Linux networking questions

Tom Simpson bullet45 at usit.net
Tue May 11 08:16:59 EDT 1999

Hi:

	A friend of mine (the IT manager where I work) is looking to encorporate a
Linux box into our network for various backoffice services. It is a
10base-T LAN with a mix of Win 95 and Win 98 clients *and* a bunch of
Macintoshes all hooked up to an NT server, which then ties into a
University of South Carolina's fiber optic backbone. He doent know yet
exacly what he wants to do with Linux but belives that it may be a useful
adjunct. One possible use is as a backup domain controller. Another might
be as a file server or a print server, or all of the above.

	Here are some of his areas of concern:

1.  The whole compatibility with NT kind of thing.
	a.  Can it be added to an NT Domain?
	b.  Does it use NT usernames and passwords from the NT user list or does it
maintain it's own?

2.  The whole compatibility with Macintosh kind of thing.
	a.  Does it do Apple File Sharing via AppleTalk?
	b.  Does it handle printing via AppleTalk?

3.  Web services.
	a.  Does it support MS FrontPage extensions?
	b.  Does it support ASP?

	I would appreciate it if you would be specific in giving some pointers on
*how* these things can be acomplished, including filenames and URLS.

	I realy appreciate any help y'all could give. I have been keeping him
abreast of developments in the linux world for the last couple of years and
I think he is now in a position to actualy give it a shot.

-Tom