[ale] Firewalling question

Patrick W. Jones PWJ at newcomb-boyd.com
Thu May 6 10:43:18 EDT 1999

I understand it to be that you only see the machines on YOUR
leg of the cable.  It is as secure as the people on the cable.  If Joe
Schmo sets up a shared directory on his Windows machine, then
you will be able to see it and get to it.  If he shares his CD-Rom
then you could get to his CD-ROM, and so on and so forth, just the
same as if you were all on the same ethernet connection.  The
Network Neighborhood junk is part of Windows NetBIOS (I think)
and there really isn't anyway to get your machine to not show up -
as far as I know.

> 	Cablevision actually does display machines in the "Network Neighborhood".
> I don't know how they group machines into a network neighborhood because I
> only have 10 but I know there are more than 10 people using Cablevisions
> cable modems.  Once you click on a machine, you won't see any drives or
> shared files(at least in NT or using Samba in Linux).  I would like to know
> how they do this.  It appears to be secure but who knows.......

Patrick Jones
Newcomb & Boyd
pwj at newcomb-boyd.com
(404) 352-6642