[ale] Firewalling question

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu May 6 10:38:04 EDT 1999

"Michael A. Smith" wrote:

>         Cablevision actually does display machines in the "Network Neighborhood".
> I don't know how they group machines into a network neighborhood because I
> only have 10 but I know there are more than 10 people using Cablevisions
> cable modems.  Once you click on a machine, you won't see any drives or
> shared files(at least in NT or using Samba in Linux).  I would like to know
> how they do this.  It appears to be secure but who knows.......

Famous last words.  I would not assume that it's secure, particularily
considering it's the cable company.  They are new to this thing..

The other thing is, I don't think you want random traffic cloggin up
your network.  If there's no purpose, then it should stop.  If there is
a purpose, (and it was me) I damn sure would like to know what it is.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl