[ale] RH6.0 and enabling 'telnet' and sibs

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 25 09:45:14 EDT 1999

At 09:19 AM 6/25/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Yes there is.  You can either remove the /usr/sbin/tcpd from the lines in
>/etc/inetd.conf (which I don't recommend) or you can edit the file
>/etc/hosts.allow and add the following:
>
>ALL: ALL
>
>This will allow every machine in the world to connect to your machine.  If
>your box is a masquerading box that is on both an internal network and the
>internet I would recommend this configuration:
>
>/etc/hosts.allow:
>
>ALL: 10.5.5.0/255.255.255.0
>
>/etc/hosts.deny:

This still does not solve the slow telnet response time on the part of
RedHat v6.0 and Redhat v5.2 for systems that do not have a DNS entry.

Note - Login DOES occur - it just takes a minute or two for the login:
prompt to come up after telneting the system.

I saw a fix posted for it once, but since I had DNS set up and running
properly, I capture it.  Perhaps someone still has it.

Regards - Bob Kruger