[ale] hmm, some ?'s

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Wed Jun 16 16:24:59 EDT 1999

boot.b - second stage boot loader (the "LO" of "LILO")
boot.0302 - original /dev/hda2 partition boot sector
System.map - symbol table for vmlinuz
map - LILO database of where sectors are
chain.b - boot loader for C:
os2_d.b - boot loader for OS/2 from D:

You might want to add to your procedure:

cp ./System.map /boot/System.map-"kernelversion"

As has been pointed out, 'make clean' should suffice; you generally only use
'make mrproper' when you are going to archive the tree for distribution.