[ale] WebTV with Linux

hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Jun 15 23:06:07 EDT 1999

On 15 Jun, cfowler at avana.net wrote:
> As far as I know this is the responsibility of the card and not the OS.  There are
> devices out there that attaches to the VGA port and does NTSC.  I would like it
> integrated in the video card.  Any ideas?

As always, it is a combination of the card and the software drivers.
The cards with TV out that I've used work fine in text mode, but it is
hard to find an X server that works with them, or at any rate, hard to
find the right mode line.

I've had a little success with Cyrix MediaGX chips (onboard video) and
XFree.  The Linux Display Doctor X Server claims to work with MediaGX,
too, but no other chipset.  They told me that they could support it in
other chipsets, given the right encouragement (i.e., $$).

I would think these would work well with the Frame Buffer.  My
ATI displays the graphics at bootup, but not under X.

--
Michael