[ale] IDE (Intergrated development environment)

John Mills jmmills at avana.net
Fri Jun 11 23:50:24 EDT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Tri wrote:

> Ok I just got "The C programming language" from amazon. Now I'm looking
> for a IDE that I can learn real fast so that I can finally get into
> learning the language instead of fiddling around with settings. I tried
> to use emacs, but I don't have the time to learn it.

Tri -

I tried xwpe, but found it [at the time - 3 years or so ago] a bit
unstable and not much functional help. You might look into Nedit, which
can (I understand) be built with LessTif, and which has grown a number of
'coder friendly' features.

The thing which makes Emacs worth the learning curve for me is it's
support of _lots_ of languages. If you start it under X11, you get good
Mouse support and pull-down menus, softening the learning curve. I have
heard much good for Xemacs, but not used it.

Regards, John Mills