[ale] Anyone other than Bellsouth doing ADSL in Atlanta?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Jun 9 11:12:07 EDT 1999

Hey Ed!

Ed Landa enscribed thusly:
> > 	1) Can you get the xDSL line.

> > 	2) Can you get the xDSL service.

> and     3) Will the telco ever get around to provisioning your line?

	Uh...  I had sorta filed that one under "can you get the line".

> We've seen huge delays in actually getting the service installed.
> Fortunately, they're working on fixing this problem, but it is still taking
> close to 45 days to deploy SDSL services.

	Not bad considering the wait I originally had for ISDN (almost
18 months).

> Also, if you are served out of a SLC, you will only be able to get ISDL
> (~160k).  You have to have a physical copper path from the CO to your
> demarc to get the higher speeds.

	Ooo...  Ow!  That I didn't know.  That addresses my curiosity about
a SLC then.

> > 	I believe that xDSL is limited to 1800 CABLE feet from the CO

> I think you just typoed, but it is actually about 18,000 feet.  It should go
> further but there are some problems still being worked out.

	Opppsss...  Yup.  Left off a 0.  I knew it was in the rang of slightly
longer than three miles.  I should have spotted that.  My bad.

> This is still a new technology and there are a lot of little problems to be
> worked out.  In most cases they are just logistical and procedural issues at
> the telcos, not technical problems.  The DSL circuits that we do have active
> are extremely fast and stable.

> I try to resist plugging the list, but if anyone is interested in business
> SDSL service, we're offering it today.  Unfortunately, we're not oriented
> towards the consumer market, so the pricing may not be what you're looking
> for in a home connection.  Sales droids can be located at 770-485-6110.

	:-)

> Ed

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/