[ale] Creative Vibra16 soundcard

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Jun 5 14:16:43 EDT 1999

Plug 'n' Pray strikes again....

I have a Creative SB16 WaveEffects PnP sound card in my machine, (BIOS
id's it as a Vibra, thus the subject line) which works for the most part,
sound quality is decent enough.  The problem is that I can't get a
"proper" configuration to work.

I have tried using PnP Tools to configure two different DMA channels for
the card, then given these channels to the driver, and the driver accepts
them, however, whenever any application tries to use the card as 16-bit,
the application seizes up and the only way to get access back to
/dev/audio or /dev/dsp is to reboot.

On the other hand, if I set both DMA channels to the same channel, it
works fine, but of course, that rules out some of the capabilities of the
card (FDX, for example).

The only complication in my system is that there is also a second sound
card, an ancient SBPro, and the driver has no problem accessing its
capabilities, however, the driver doesn't have to do so much to make that
work as it is an 8-bit HDX only card.  It is also not the root cause of
the problem as verified by the fact that the problem described above
existed before I added the SBPro into the system.  It is just that now I
am finally getting around to dealing with it.... after about 6 months.

Thanks for any help.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
US Troops out of Kosovo NOW!