[ale] Cable modems and total-web

Christopher Fowler cfowler at avana.net
Sat Jun 5 13:56:18 EDT 1999

I just installed a cable modem last week and it seems fairly fast.  It
worked only 2 hours and trying to get a technician onsite is like trying to
win the lottery.  Support states that usually I do not need to be at home
and they did come by once and did some work.  But I'm still getting those
amber lights.  They can not give me a time or date when someone will be out
here.  It has been total frustration and the only reason I have chose
cablevision over ADSL is to get a static IP.  Total-web will be dhcp by
December or later.  What alternatives do I have and how can I get a static
IP with good support?

I'm 4 hours away from calling total-web and canceling the service just
because they can not seem to get someone out here to fix the d**n thing.  Am
I be unreasonable?  I need uptime and I need access away from home.  I'm
usually not at home during the week.

I'v also have and HP9000/G30 behind the MASQ server running HP-UX 10.20.
The intention of this machine is to give accounts to those who wish to
telnet in and explore the HP-UX OS.  I know when I was in school and learing
I did not have access to any machines other that x86 and mainframes and
could have used access to an HP or RS/6000 or Sparc.

The access method it to telnet to a port on the masq server that will excute
a shell telneting to the HP/9000.  I would prefer to use another method.
That method causes telnet to use line mode instead of char mode.  I assume
there is a program that will open a socket on the internal network and pass
data through and be seemless to end users.

If you would like to play on this machine please send me contact info and I
will create an account and give you access information.  If you have
connections with total-web please ask them to fix this before I through it
out of my house.

If you are looking for access on another OS please email me and I'll see if
I can run those on the network.  Some can be ran from Vmware.

A very upset UNIX junkie,
Chris Fowler