[ale] 2.2 packages

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 31 10:37:13 EST 1999

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> Chris Ricker writes:
>  > >
>  > > Should I be wary of the knfs??  Can you build it as a module?
>  >
>  > It's not as well-tested, and it's different, but I've not had problems with
>  > it for a couple of months now.
>
> If you hav been using it for a while, does the kernel NFS stuff seem
> to be significantly faster?

I think so.  It's hard to say, because the only network I use on a regular
basis that's running knfsd is my home network, which obviously is far from a
real-world setup (100 MBit, low traffic, etc.).  I've been using it there
ever since I set it up when I moved out here, so I can't really compare unfs
vs. knfs. It feels quite snappy to Solaris and other Linux boxes.  It took a
bit of playing around to get decent performance between the linux boxes and
FreeBSD but that's probably since been fixed and no one cares about *BSD
anyway.

I've recently set it up in other places (either Linux only or mixed Linux /
Solaris) and not heard any complaints....

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu