[ale] New Kernel 2.2.0

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Thu Jan 28 13:02:59 EST 1999

Ryan Frank writes:
 > Ok, So I compiled the new kernel 2.2.0 this morning... Yes I do feel cool
 > now... The speed increase is dramatic!  However I have run into a few
 > issues here... And I feel I may be doing something wrong... Here are the
 > steps I take and the results I get.
 >
 > 1. removed the existing /usr/src/linux-2.0.36 directory (Probably where I
 > went wrong but let me finish :)
 > 2. in  /usr/src  tar -xvf linux-2_2_0_tar
 > 3. from /usr/src/linux ran make menuconfig
 > 4. make dep
 > 5. make modules
 > 6. make modules_install
 > 7. make clean
 > 8. make bzImage
 > 9. I copy the kernel to a new directory...
 >
 > In lilo.conf I use the following  config...
 >
 > Image=/kernel/bzImage
 > 	Label=2.2
 > 	Root = /dev/sda1
 > Initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
 > 	Read-only
 >
 > I then run LILO and it adds the entry... Right now I can see two potential
 > problems and I am wondering what I should do...
 >
 > #1.  The removal of the usr/src/linux-2.0.36 directory, I do not believe
 > that is necessary (I always make a BU before I delete).  Please let me know
 > if just Un-Taring the archive in its own dir and running make from that dir
 > will work...

You don't have to do that, but you can if you want to save space.  It
is an RPM package, so you could remove it with RPM (maybe rpm --erase
kernel-source)

 > #2.  The initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img, this seems wrong... Is there
 > one for 2.2.0?  Do I need it?  What is it (Assuming RamDisk image)?  How
 > can I create/get a new one :)

You only need initrd if you are using some scsi driver that is not
compiled into the kernel.  So, if you compiled your SCSI driver into
the 2.2 kernel, you won't be needing to do initrd.  It really isn't
doing anything right now.