[ale] Printer problems

Jeffery B Layton g593851 at yogi.mar.lmco.com
Thu Jan 28 12:45:26 EST 1999

Hello,

   I posted a letter about a week ago about problems I was having
connecting my HP 5M laser to my Linux Box (Redhat 5.2). I received
several suggestions about how to track down the problem. Well, I
can't seem to figure this one out.

   Here is some script output from a lpd and lpc command:

[laytonj at eagle1 laytonj]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd restart
Shutting down lpd: lpd
Starting lpd: lpd
[laytonj at eagle1 laytonj]# /usr/sbin/lpc status
aerolas1:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
[laytonj at eagle1 laytonj]# lpq -Paerolas
lpq: aerolas: unknown printer
[laytonj at eagle1 laytonj]# lpq -Paerolas1
Warning: aerolas1 is down: aerolas1 is ready and printing
no entries
[laytonj at eagle1 laytonj]#

I can't seem to print anything! I set this up using printtool
when I logged in as root. (Oops, notice the typo half way down
when I type "aerolas" instead of "aerolas1".

   I checkd the system logs and nothing showed up when I performed
these commands. Any thoughts?

TIA,

Jeff Layton

g593851 at fs1.mar.lmco.com