[ale] Linux Compile Error

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 26 12:02:58 EST 1999

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 bwentdg at pipeline.com wrote:

> I just downloaded sever shareware packages.
> In each of them the instructions say to 1st do an "imake" the a "make".

> The problem is that when I do the "imake" I get the same error on each
> package.
> The error is
>
>        " Imakefile.c:13 Imake.tmpl No such file or directory"

You don't say what development files you have installed, but my guess is
that you haven't installed nor configured 'imake' and its sibs.

Look 'round in whichever distribution you have used for 'imake', and in
your system for things like the following:
jmills:~$ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
Amoeba.cf       Win32.cf        ibm.cf          necLib.tmpl     sun.cf
DGUX.cf         Win32.rules     ibmLib.rules    noop.rules
sunLib.rules
FreeBSD.cf      WinLib.tmpl     ibmLib.tmpl     oldlib.rules
sunLib.tmpl
Imake.cf        apollo.cf       isc.cf          os2.cf
sv3Lib.rules
Imake.rules     app-defaults    linux.cf        os2.rules
sv3Lib.tmpl
Imake.tmpl      bsd.cf          linux.cf.orig   os2Lib.rules
sv4Lib.rules
Imake.tmpl.old  bsdLib.rules    lnxLib.rules    os2Lib.tmpl
sv4Lib.tmpl
Imake.tmpl.or   bsdLib.tmpl     lnxLib.tmpl     osf1.cf         svr3.cf
Library.tmpl    bsdi.cf         lnxdoc.rules    osfLib.rules    svr4.cf
Mips.cf         config-X11R5    lnxdoc.tmpl     osfLib.tmpl     ultrix.cf
Motif.rules     config-X11R6    luna.cf         pegasus.cf      usl.cf
Motif.rules.or  convex.cf       lynx.cf         sco.cf          x386.cf
Motif.tmpl      cray.cf         macII.cf        scoLib.rules    xf86.rules
Motif.tmpl.or   fujitsu.cf      mach.cf         sequent.cf      xf86.tmpl
NetBSD.cf       generic.cf      minix.cf        sgi.cf
xf86site.def
Oki.cf          host.def        moto.cf         sgiLib.rules    xfree86.cf
Project.tmpl    hp.cf           ncr.cf          sgiLib.tmpl     xinit
Server.tmpl     hpLib.rules     nec.cf          site.def
Threads.tmpl    hpLib.tmpl      necLib.rules    sony.cf

'imake' gets mixed reviews [i.e., compared to GNU 'configure'], but I like
it -- well installed, it works well.  If you _can't_ find a distribution,
you can check out:
   ftp://ftp.primate.wisc.edu/pub/imake-book
for the sources, and also examples from Paul DuBois' O'Reilly book:
_Software Portability with imake_ [excellent, IMHO].

My installation popped 'out of the box' with Moo-Tiff, and works better
than other 'imake' installations I've tried.  YMMV, of course.

Finally, 'Imakefile's are _dirt_simple_ to write, whether you're building
to X, or not. Of course, that's where you might want the book.  (An
earlier version may also be available from 'primate' - worth a look.)

  John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
        Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
         "The cardinal virtues of a programmer are Laziness,
            Impatience, and Hubris." -- attr. Larry Wall