[ale] winbond w89c840f

Jonathan Sharp jrsharp at southern.edu
Sun Jan 17 02:11:51 EST 1999

I've just installed a new winbond generic network card.  I cannot get any
module support at all for it.  I believe that it is an ne2000 compatible pci
network card, but the ne2k-pci module doesn't work.  I just get the following
message:

/lib/modules/2.0.36/net/ne2k-pci.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

As a matter of fact, I get that with all the drivers I try.  I've compiled the
drivers into the kernel and tried them as modules... nothing seems to work.
I've tried 2.0.36 and 2.2.0pre7, but still no luck.  I happen to be fairly new
to linux networking anyway, so I'm at a loss for what to try next.  I have set
the card's irq in the bios, so pnp shouldn't be a problem in that respect.
I've tried using loadlin to boot from windows and see if the drivers would
work then, still nothing.  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could help
me with finding support for this card, or just a few ideas.  Does anyone know
anything about this w89c840f chipset?  The 940 chipset is mentioned in the
ethernet howto, but that doesn't help me much.  Anyway, I would appreciate any
help that anyone could provide.
Thanks,
Jon Sharp