[ale] 2.0 to 2.2 kernel change summary?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 7 23:20:47 EST 1999

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Steven A DuChene wrote:

> Anyone know of a web page or anything that has a good summary of the major
> changes that took place when going from the 2.0 kernel series to the
> new 2.2 stuff? I see places with good descriptions of what went into each
> patch but I am looking for a good overall summary. The slides that Alan
> Cox used in his State of the Kernel address at the ALS fundrasing dinner
> would be good but I don't see those around anywhere.

I'm sure I'll miss some, but:

* major SMP improvement
* network stack re-written
* dcache filesystem stuff
* MTRR support on hardware that has it
* new file systems supported
* memory usage improvements
* Unix98 pty's
* more platforms supported, most of those in the stock tree
* more drivers, better drivers
* no 128 mb limit on IA32 swap files
* fb video on IA32 (boot-time penguins may be the best reason to upgrade ;-)
* speed, speed, speed

later,
chris

--