[ale] 2.0 to 2.2 kernel change summary?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 7 23:22:35 EST 1999

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Jay Finch wrote:

> At 05:52 PM 01/01/1999 -0500, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> >	The Documentation/Changes has information on what utils have to be
> >upgraded... that might be a good place to look... and it comes with the
> >kernel source...
>
> 	I've look through that Document, and while it details the different
> utils that need to be updated, it really doesn't give me the key info that
> I want.
>
> A few of the questions I need answered:
>
> 1)	In 2.2 -- Will memory larger than 64 MB be auto detected, or will I
> still have to specify that in LILO ?

If you're lucky ;-).  It works for most people, but doesn't work with a few
broken Compaqs, IBM laptops, and other problem children.

> 2)	In 2.2 -- Will there be support for more than 255 active processes?  (I
> heard that the magic # was going to be 1024, but I'm not sure..)

I'm no kernel hacker, but if I'm understanding the schedular and friends in
the kernel subdirectory correctly, it appears to be 1024.

> 3)	In 2.2 -- Will SMB (Multi-processor) support be better than that which
> exists in 2.0.x?  (I know support exists in 2.0.x, but the documentation on
> it is rather sketchy at best.)

Yes.  One of the major changes between 2.0 and 2.2 is the SMP, which is now
much finer-grained.

later,
chris

--