[ale] nfsd, mountd and portmap

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Thu Jan 7 20:37:10 EST 1999

> When my machine boots, the portmap, rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd processes
> don't get started properly.  The errors displayed are:

> Jan  7 11:07:45 denali mountd[266]: unable to register (mountd, 1, udp).
> Jan  7 11:07:45 denali nfsd[279]: unable to register (nfsd, 2, udp).

Sure.  Most likely they are unable to talk to portmap.  Make sure that
portmap is running.  Use rpcinfo(8) to talk with your portmap process.

See my next email to learn about security hole mountd prior to RH 5.2.

> Anyone have any ideas?
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com http://www.cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE & Linux Laptops]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.

"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by
people who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried
anything."  -- Jim Joyce, owner of Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore