[ale] Compilation problems

Glenn C. Lasher, Jr. glasher at dtassoc.com
Mon Jan 4 10:20:28 EST 1999

Okay, here's the situation:

Brand new computer (generic).  It has a 4.3GB HDD, 200MHz Pentium-MMX, 32X
generic ATAPI CD-ROM, 32MB of RAM.

I installed slackware 3.2 on this system, and in another attempt,
Slackware 3.5  Both yielded this result:

I went into /usr/src/linux, did a make config, make dep, make clean, make
zImage, and the compilation stops right after floppy.o with a signal 11.

I was able to take the HDD out of this machine and put it into another
machine (a Pentium 100) and compile the kernel with no difficulties at
all.

My basic question is what is a Signal 11 and what am I missing here?  I
have done this installation a million times (okay, not literally) and
never encountered this one.  Any ideas?

Many thanks to all.

Glenn C. Lasher, Jr - Senior Engineer, Windows NT/UNIX/Telecommunications
Data Tech Associates, Ltd, 883 Broadway, Albany NY, 518.465.1190