[ale] WD 10.1 hard drive...again

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Jan 3 22:31:40 EST 1999

I'm still unsuccessful with getting Linux to recognize the full size of
my 10.1 Western Digital drive.  I thought I'd share some info, in the
hope someone could point out what I'm missing.

First of all, I expected that the problem was getting the kernel to
recognize the proper size, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.  dmesg
provides the following:

hdb: WDC AC310100B, 9671MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1024/255/63, DMA

Now the CHS is not correct, but from what I've read in the docs, that's
not a problem.  The size is accurate if you do the math.

fdisk provides the following:

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

If I create a single (huge) partition, the size is 8225248 blocks, which
does not translate to the 10.1 gig.

The docs appear to indicate that if I use the Easy Drive software that
came with the drive, all things will be fine, but it appears to me that
this is in reference to the bios/kernel issue, which doesn't seem to be
my problem.  I really don't want to use Easy Drive if I don't have to,
since I had a 'bad experience' with it a while back and I don't want to
mess with my existing drive.

I've tried setting the bios auto and user settings (with the proper CHS
values), but this doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've got LBA
turned on.  Anyone can tell me what WPcom is??

Any suggestions, pointers, docs folks could provide would be greatly
appreciated...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????