[ale] Sound Card?

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.gsu.edu
Sat Jan 2 22:43:21 EST 1999

Irv,
  I bought a Creative 64Value last year when I was using RedHat 5.0 ( the
Creative is a P n P card.)  Did get it running somewhat using the 'free'
OSS drivers.  It disappeared all of a sudden.  I decided to make like
easier on myself.  I spent $20 and bought the commercial OSS drivers.
They work like a charm.  They worked out of the box on a Yamaha card I
have at work which I couldn't get working at all under 5.0.

  HOWEVER, I agree with Eric, try the latest kernels first if you have
the time, as I hear sound support is much better.  Also, $20 bought me the
basic drivers.  If you need additional drivers, the cost can rise to $35
at last check.  The driver also works fine with RH 5.1 and 5.2.

  I might also add:  I am in no way connected with OSS, just a satisfied
customer.  I wish you success on your sound endeavor.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-2639               |                        |