[ale] LOCAL: ALE February Meeting

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Mon Feb 8 10:49:43 EST 1999

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - February meeting notice

           *     General Discussion: ale at ale.org             *
           *  Meeting Announcements: ale-announce at ale.org    *
           *         Administration: ale-admin at ale.org       *

              Join your fellow Linux enthusiasts for
                    our regular monthly meeting!

                        Thursday 11 February, 1999
                               7:00 PM
                  Georgia Tech College of Computing
                               Room 17

			     THIS MONTH:

		       Tom Pilsch,  Asst. Dean
		     Paul Manno,  Program Manager
       College of Computing, Continuing Education Georgia Tech

	     Topic: Friends Don't Let Friends Use Windows

  As personal computers become a significant factor in more
  offices, particularly in small-to-medium sized businesses,
  Microsoft Windows is clearly the operating system of choice.  Yet
  in this Microsoft-dominated world, there is a growing uneasiness
  with the frustration, expense and lack of options this situation
  presents.

  The consumer and business computing industries are at a major
  crossroads and face an incredible opportunity.  UNIX-based
  systems present a viable option to breaking the MS operating
  system domination by offering clear advantages to the consumer,
  yet significant challenges in marketplace visibility and
  operating simplicity remain.

  Our speakers have made a commitment to promoting UNIX as the
  operating system of choice for progressive organizations and will
  seek to open a lively dialog on ways to carry this message to the
  computer-using world.

  (My apologies to those ALE members who are also
   regular attendees of AUUG, to whom Tom & Paul gave this
   presentation last November, but this topic was too good
   to pass up!)

           For more info on the group, visit the ALE web page:
                        http://www.ale.org/

       For Directions to the Georgia Tech College of Computing:
      http://www.cc.gatech.edu/external.affairs/directions.html