[ale] Modules & KDE

Steven A DuChene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Thu Feb 4 18:50:28 EST 1999

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:13:07PM -0500, Michael B Golden wrote:
> 	Because my hard drive on the computer I am working at is nearly
> full, I can't install the kernel source. I have two things which I need a
> new kernel for. These are support for my CD-ROM and support for my Sound
> Card. I was wondering if it is possible to compile these as modules
> without the kernel source. Note that I'm not even quite sure I know what
> the modules are supposed to do, but I can't recompile the kernel until my
> other system works. :( Also, is there a way to telnet for example into
> another box which has the kernel source for newer kernels, and then
> compile there and copy to my system and make it work right? Or do I have
> to compile locally?

You could NFS mount the sources to the box that has the full hard drive.

Also in your other message, you mentioned not liking xdm. There is a
package available for Linux to dress up the appearence of the xdm screen.
The package is called Xbanner and the home page for it is located at:

http://chaos.fullerton.edu/XBanner/

There is also a mention of xdm-3d there that most likely uses the Xaw-3D
widget set that improves the look of X applications based on the Athena
widget set. For more info on that see http://www.zip.com.au/~bb/XawXpm/
--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.