[ale] removable drive cases

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Fri Dec 31 04:56:53 EST 1999

Related question, sort of:
Anyone have any bad experiences with those removable 3.5" drive rack/drive
case combos? Those cheapie built 'CE certified' (whatever that means)
plastic jobbies that go for anywhere from $10 to $20 each for IDE? (There
also exists a model for SCSI, with and without fan, which seems certain
death to SCSI hds in the latter case.) I've used them for swapping OSs and
2ndry hds, very convenient, generally seem to work well IF the hd container
case is of course shoved in tight and locked in, but the wiring often has a
dull and shoddy soldiered appearance, and in fact I've had two (fortunately
cheap no-name) mobo's suddenly go unexplainably dead on me in the recent
past, with the only common denominator being both those boxes had those
cases in them. I've thus lately shied away from using these anymore.
Comments? Any hardware gurus have any tips on checking those out for
potential shorting, using a pocket VOM for instance, before using them? TIA.
--Frank