[ale] Sportin' SCSI/RAID

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 27 08:09:28 EST 1999

If I had a dime for every time I heard the guys familiar with VMS at
our office bemoan the shortcomings of UNIX clustering!

It is likely that the SCSI reservation feature is optional...

One difference is, that in VMS there is not a large filesystem cache
like there is in UNIX, which would make it almost impossible to keep
the filesystem consistent if mounted on multiple machines.  We have
installaons with many hundreds of megabytes on outboard RAID
controllers.  Compaq is introducing a new version of their clustering
with Tru64Unix (was Digital Unix) version 5.0A. But my understanding
is that the way they provide access is through a cluster interconnect
(they call it memory channel) - still only one machine actually mounts
the drive.

-Eric.