[ale] OpenBSD, FreeBSD

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Wed Dec 15 19:10:51 EST 1999

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> Cool...next time my MS app dies, I'll get a free Global Positioning
> Satellite!!!   ;)    GPF I believe  you mean.  However, I don't see what
> you mean by "you can tell if something failed".  I think the GPF is a
> pretty good indication something failed.

My mistake, it is GPF. I meant to reference to a hardware problem, and even in
software in most cases you can tell why from the logs, MS is very limitied when it
comes to recovery from its own BUGS. Ie, once you get a GPF you will always get at
GPF at the same point. Its due to it's memory handling and clearing some internal
cache, I read an article on it a few years ago as to why GPF occurs always at the
same point. Their solution: reboot the machine.