[ale] Linux Distro's

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Wed Dec 15 14:45:37 EST 1999

Hello everyone,

IMPORTANT: I do NOT want distro opinions.

I was birthed into Linux by RedHat 4.2. I have learned tons.
I enjoy RH, it works. I have found that I seldom, if ever,
use the RPM method for updating. I enjoy the init scripts
and directory structure.

I am starting to revive old 386/486 PC's. They handle RH well.
I am frustrated by the amount of "junk" I have to uninstall
when the installation is complete. (Who really needs the latest
version of the RH_LOGO_GIF.i386.rpm). This has caused me to
look for something else.

I am considering Debian. I am interested in facts about the
major differences in the two (RH & Debian) distros.
Will I be able to use whatever program I want without alot of brain surgery?
Is there any "weird" licensing with Debian?
Will I be able to download the ISO and any security updated software from the net?
What are the libraries used in Debian?

Thanks in advance,
Randy