[ale] OpenBSD, FreeBSD

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Dec 15 13:31:29 EST 1999

Slight diff...a GPF is usually a programmer not coding for something
(trying to write to a null pointer) and the OS then terminates the
program...very similar to a core dump for a segmentation fault.  Just with
the huge windows API, there are tons of things to forget to do, set,
check.

The BSOD is caused by the kernel barfing, or something in the kernel area
like a driver barfing.  While the kernel can halt an app pretty decently
when it misbehaves, it can't do so for itself.  The BSOD usually has
enough info on it to figure out what driver caused the barf...not why, but
its a start.

Don't know about the serial port thing though - glad my NT install is
stable.