[ale] DVD-Rom ?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Dec 13 17:57:16 EST 1999

	I HATE it when I realize I need to follow up to my own post...  Sigh...
On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 05:30:10PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	Yeah, I've got a copy but it's really a proof of concept (the
> concept being that the IDIOTS that designed it were lamers who had little
> or no comprehension of robust cryptography).  It has not been optimized
> and needs a pretty beefy box in order to do real time decryption.

	The IDIOTS in question are NOT the dudes who broke the CSS
algorithms.  They have my highest respect, especially considering the
fire they came under.  The IDIOTS I was referring to are the ones that
designed CSS to begin with.  It's a fundamental principle of cryptography
that the security of an algorithm must not depend on its secrecy.  The DVD
consortium should have been able to (and should have) published the
algorithm with no fear and subjected it to peer review.  They fail, and
it failed, and I don't think they have learned from their mistakes
(blaming the "evil hackers" for their own stupidity).

	[...]

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/