[ale] xntpd help?

Robert L. Harris nomad at rnd-consulting.com
Thu Dec 9 11:15:57 EST 1999

I'm trying to set up a local time server for my subnet.  I have
xntp3-5.93-13.i386.rpm installed on all my boxes.  The config file
for the time server is this:

{0}:lh:/root>cat /etc/ntp.conf
#server tick.usno.navy.mil prefer
#server tock.usno.navy.mil prefer
server ntp.nasa.gov
server timex.peachnet.edu
server 204.144.173.1
server 127.127.1.0
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 9

However it doesn't seem to ever sync to the remote server itself.

I set my clock to a bogus time "10101010" and it never syncs to the
correct time:
{0}:lh:/root>date
Sun Oct 10 10:11:26 MDT 1999

In addition, none of my boxes on the subnet can connect to port
123 of my server and it can't even connect to itself.

{0}:lh:/root>telnet localhost 123
Trying 127.0.0.1...

All the docs and people I've talked to say this is just fine...

Thoughts?
  Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                |  Low quality in a product happens.
Senior System Engineer          |    That doesn't mean it's right and
  at Global Commerce Systems.   |      and defintely doesn't mean it should
                                 \_      be accepted.  Require quality.

http://www.rnd-consulting.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: