[ale] ppp

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Thu Dec 9 10:04:49 EST 1999

Wandered Inn <esoteric at denali.atlnet.com> wrote:
> "zfh-csg.penguinpowered.com" wrote:
> >
> > I want to use a ppp connection on my RH 5.2 box running MASQ
> > to keep me on the internet 24 hours a day.  I will use dynamic
> > DNS to configure my name and ifup-ppp to initiate the script.
> >  I know that there will be much time that I will be idle and
> > therefor the ISP will drop the connection. I want the ISP to
> > be called back the minut it is dropped then stay connected.
> > I want the box to keep this cycle going.  I will modify ifup-ppp
> > to execute the dynamic DNS script of that is the correct thing
> > to do.  How do I get the RH 5.2 box to contnue to dial the ISP
> > when it gets knocked off?
>
> Chances are good, your ISP won't put up with it.
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
> 	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl

I have actual experience doing this. The functionality was great.
However, it will violate terms of service for 99% of ISP and therefore
you risk getting your account canceled without notification. (It
happened to me).

With that said, in the /etc/ppp/options file you can put a line that
reads "persistent" or something like that (check the docs). This will
have pppd redial upon detecting a disconnect.

--
Randy Janinda

HTTP://www.tqlabs.com - Online port database