[ale] rpm architecture

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Dec 9 09:44:34 EST 1999

    Wandered> Question is, I read somewhere that the standard rpms are
    Wandered> compiled for a 386 architecture and that if you compile
    Wandered> for, say a 586, you may recognize up to a 30% increase
    Wandered> in speed.  Has anyone recognized such gains?  I
[...]

        Nothing concrete, but when I switched to a 686-optimized X
server rpm on my pII 400 at work there seemed to be a noticeable
increase in how fast X seemed to run (windows moving faster, shading
faster, ...).  May just have been me, but it did seem (for lack of a
better term) much peppier.  YMMV, of course.  You probably could use
time(1) and repeat the same task using -M 386 compiled binary vs a
-M [56]86 binary on the same box under the same load to get some sort
of actual numbers.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=