[ale] rpm architecture

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Dec 9 09:09:09 EST 1999

I've been attempting to complete a small experiment, that is, to keep a
completely rpm based system, so as to prove the point that you don't
have to compile anything to run a Linux system.  I've been pretty
successful, although some of the bleeding edge stuff I want, I realize
the 'average' user wouldn't use.

Question is, I read somewhere that the standard rpms are compiled for a
386 architecture and that if you compile for, say a 586, you may
recognize up to a 30% increase in speed.  Has anyone recognized such
gains?  I understand that Mandrake releases are compiled for Pentium
architecture.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl